Finding Beauty in the Old and Dilapidated - Photographing an Abandoned Barn


Sometimes photography will surprise you with subjects that you weren’t anticipating. In turn, sometimes the photos you take of those subjects will also surprise you. This was one of those occasions. 

I hadn’t set out to take photos of this old abandoned barn, but I’m glad I did. In reality, I was simply wanting a relaxing afternoon walk, on a path through corn fields I’d taken many times before. I knew the barn was there as I’d seen it in the distance, in my periphery, but as it was off the established route I’d never really looked at it properly before. 
On this occasion something drew me in closer, so I took a detour. Some may call it a minor trespass. I set my white balance in the fading light and started to shoot. 

What struck me immediately was how rich and colourful the textures were. Years of weathering worn proudly over its stoic wooden exterior. The rich green mosses usually seen on the northern side of trees in forests latched onto the jaunty, battered roof, affectionately. Looking closely against the mellow sky, I could see old nails forced up from their positions by the expansion of damp timbers that surely did their best to face off many storms and rainfalls, but had to do it alone, unassisted and unprotected by regular care or maintenance. 

Whilst shooting I started wondering; how long had it been there? Who had built it? What sights had it witnessed over the years? This old barn had plenty of character and seemingly many tales to tell. I plan to go back throughout the year to hear some more. Perhaps it will surprise me again.


Old abandoned barn

Years of expansion forcing nails from the damp wood



All photos of this abandoned barn in Warwickshire were taken on the Fuji X-T2 with the Fujifilm XF50 - 140mm F/2.8 lens, processed from RAW with Capture One.
Please visit my main website, www.lukebennettphotos.com for much more content, including further landscape and nature photography from the UK and visit my Print Gallery to buy high quality prints of my UK landscapes. Also, if you are interested in hiring me as your wedding photographer in Solihull, Birmingham, Coventry, Warwickshire, the Midlands or Beyond, please say hi!

Popular Posts